In May 2016, the Agency launched a communications campaign called NDIS Ready to raise community awareness about the Scheme and prepare people with disability, their families, carers, providers and the community for the full rollout from 1 July 2016.
The initiative also celebrated the successes of the Scheme to date and created a platform for people to publicly express their support for the new system.
NDIS Ready delivered and achieved outcomes across a range of key communication areas, including government relations, traditional media, social media and internal communications.
NDIS Ready activities in 2015-16 included:
- A launch at Parliament House in Canberra with support from the Prime Minister, the Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP, and the Minister for Social Services, the Hon Christian Porter MP. This coincided with a briefing on the Scheme for Federal Government Members of Parliament whose electorates cover sites that transitioned into the Scheme from 1 July 2016.
- The development and promotion of key communication products, including animations, factsheets and booklets to help build awareness about the Scheme and prepare people to join the Scheme from 1 July 2016. These resources were also promoted by community and disability organisations across the country.
- Production of eight videos profiling participants and people getting ready to join the Scheme. Videos were promoted on the Agency’s social media YouTube channels and shared extensively. When combined, the top three videos released as part of NDIS Ready were watched around 50 000 times. Many of these stories have been retold in this report.
- Strong and targeted community engagement through social media – individuals, organisations and community leaders from across Australia showed their support for the Scheme by posting photos of themselves holding the #ndisready sign and adding the ‘I love the NDIS’ image to their photos on social media. #ndisready was also used when posting information and tips about the Scheme online. This activity created a conversation about the Scheme on social media platforms, and helped reach more than 400 000 people in June 2016.
- Development of an NDIS Ready communications toolkit to provide individuals and organisations with communication materials that can help spread the word about the Scheme across a range of communication channels.
- NDIS Ready information sessions for potential participants and providers were held in all new sites transitioning into the Scheme from
1 July 2016.
- NDIS Ready events such as the Housing Innovation showcase in Melbourne and Sydney. There is more detail about these showcases on page 29.
- A briefing on NDIS Ready for CEOs of peak disability bodies and the development and distribution of a CEO’s NDIS Ready information pack.
- Targeted internal communications, including an Agency staff photo competition, which received more than 100 entries from across Australia. The competition was a successful team-building exercise in a growing organisation.
- NDIS Ready will continue to be used to raise awareness as new sites across Australia transition into the Scheme.